2.10.2006

Hoi Polloi

Day 41

Since I've arrived I have met the Prime Minister (kind of - He walked within 2 feet of me avec entourage and swarming photogs at the mall) and rubbed shoulders with some of Thailand's elite. Yesterday I agreed to attend an opening at the Jim Thompson house with a friend of Dad's. I had no idea I would be meeting some of Thailand's heavy hitters. And not that I was all that impressed as most of them seemed like a bunch of old white expats to me. That is until they all began to engage in a political debate in THAI which totally knocked me off my feet. They used words I’ve never heard, spoke about historical events I’ve never known, referenced kings and prime ministers that sounded like a meaningless roster to my ears and I began to feel ashamed. Here were these whitey’s with their thai passports and their semi-legitimate claim on Thai culture and there I was listening to them thinking about how I have no idea how my name is spelled in Thai, hoping they wouldn’t ask me a question because I would have no answer. Because really, I’m not Thai, I just look it.

So, I have marched myself to the Baan Pasaa Thai (The House of Thai Language) and signed up for some reading and writing lessons which I am told will also increase my vocabulary and conversational skills. I might even try to get myself a Thai passport. Because no matter who you ask, I’ll always be more Thai than a 60 year old woman from Houston, Texas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home