2.28.2006

Authentic Tourist


Day 61

Friend Carrie is here for a visit and we spent yesterday doing obligatory touristy stuff - Royal palace and Emerald Buddha mainly. It really was a proud day for me, not just because I was able to navigate us through the city to the temple with nary a hitch but I also got to go onto the royal grounds for free. No, I didn't attempt a dash past security in my trademark move as J.Brody well knows. Thai people don't have to pay to see the temple or the palace and I somehow convinced security that I was, indeed, Thai. Thai thai. Woo Hoo! Saved myself $6! I also got to utilize my new prostrating skills and it really was lovely but so so hot. Propreity dictates a strict no bare feet, no bare shoulders, skirts only rule for women visiting the temples so we looked quite the sight in our skirts and sneakers - a look I personally would like to leave up to Melanie Griffith circa Working Girl - and poor friend Carrie who had to wear a black cardigan in 100 degree weather.
Today we are off to the north to Chiang Mai where it will no doubt be hotter. But we're going to get ourselves some real thai experiences - you know maybe a trek, some more temples (obvi), maybe admire some Hill tribe folk or look at some pretty orchids and of course haggle for some cheap souveniers to bring home.

2 Comments:

Blogger Katie Morwenna said...

Hey Marie! How long are you out there for?

11:40 AM  
Blogger Ulla said...

That picture is amazing

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home