3.16.2006

The strange things you can't forget



Day 78

There are those things that you just can't lose whether you want to or not - like those cheap CHANET sunglasses you bought on the beach in Cabo or that annoying flap of skin that swings from your arm when you wave. Like those people that no matter what you do, they just keep popping back up when you think they are finally gone. This guy has sort of become one of those things. He goes by the moniker: Space Invader and he is a crazy but cool french guy who posts these Super Mario Brothers-esque alien and robot mosaics of varying sizes in cities all over the world. I briefly met Mr. Invader when he was in Los Angeles for a solo exhibit and one of those painfully hip downtown LA boutique galleries and I really thought he was kinda full of shit and I wasn't buying that whole video-games-as-art thing. Of course my first impressions are almost always wrong and I have been completely floored by how MANY invaders I have seen in all the random places I have been - most recently right in the middle of Siam Square in Bangkok. Maybe it is some kind of strange irony that I was introduced to this "artist" by a certain bad-for-me-guy I happen to have a hard time ridding myself of. In my darkest moments, i might say that it is perhaps because I don't want to, but usually I say other things that make me feel better and make people nod in sympathetic agreement, things about being better off as friends, or about how I was never that into him anyways. However, i digress.
this guy is crazy start looking around especially you guys in NYC and LA - they are all over the place. take a closer look up in the rhs of the photo of people lining up for hours to buy the hottest new treat in BKK - hot malaysian sugar buns. Of which I will not be partaking in the upcoming week of detox. More deets on that later

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home