3.30.2006

The Gospel

Day 89

It's the eve of my departure from the homeland and I do realize that I haven't posted in quite awhile. My apologies for not posting more. It seems my resolution has been short lived - and I have come to regard this as the nature of such things. I have spent the last week of my journey sequestered at the beach at a small little bungalow in a tiny town called Nathon, on a beautiful island called Samui in the homeland. It has truly been a life changing experience and I don't mean that in any born-again-I've-found-the-light kind of way. I'm not going to say that spending one week Dharma healing center has brought me complete clarity and peace of mind but it did manage to help me pull together a lot of thoughts and issues that have been haunting me for quite awhile. I don't know if it was the location, the fasting, or the change of community but its the best thing I've done for myself in a long long time. I highly recommend it to everyone and even if you do go to this retreat just to lose a few pounds, you will leave a changed person. That's all the proselytizing I will do for now. Which is ironic considering the fact that at my last Thai lesson on Wednesday, my very sweet teacher took the opportunity to enlighten me about Jesus and the Bible, which they call the Bibon because no words end in the letter L in the thai language. It took me a good ten minutes into her sermon about having the lord in her heart and finding answers to her prayers in the verses of the Bibon before I figured it out. So funny - on my last day, it's my shitty knowledge of Thai that saves me.
I returned to "real" life and a heavily thunder-storm ridden Bangkok that is in the throes of civil unrest- not really but I like how dramatic that sounds. The day I returned was the first day of a massive protest in the center of town that shut down the three biggest shopping malls in the city. A travesty I tell you and even so the Prime Minister is still holding post. The protest drew tens of thousands of people and was referred to by the thai's as "the mob" I love it.

I am so very sad to leave

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home